Is fish considered Meat?

Easy question, right?
My guess is about half of you responded by saying "Of course not!" while the rest responded with a resounding, "Absolutely!".

A little history to the question...

My wife and I decided to adopt a vegetarian diet in September. I have to admit it was a very difficult task considering I thrived on the Atkins diet for years and LOVE meat. Beef, pork, chicken. .. . name it and I loved to eat it.

After many years of poor eating, in September we decided to adopt a healthier eating style and embarked on a new lifestyle. My wife is currently pursuing a raw vegan diet, while I am happy eating eggs, some cheese and 70% - 80% raw foods. Why? Because we feel better.

Our eating lifestyles have led us to many interesting discussions and family dinner interactions. (For those that are curious... we will always prepare cooked meats for our guests and children, my wife and I will abstain from consuming them.)

With the holidays approaching my wife and I had many parties and events to attend and were intrigued by the discussions. The most lengthy debate surrounded fish and whether or not it was meat. My belief is that is that it is meat while my christian family believes it is not meat.

You would think the dictionary would make it a simple answer (which I have listed below) but it is amazing how many people disagree. The church had a great PR campaign for Good Friday which is hard to change!

My perspective. . . it is what it is and I will continue not eating animal flesh because it turns my stomach.

meat

/mit/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [meet] Show IPA
–noun
1.
the flesh of animals as used for food.
2.
the edible part of anything, as a fruit or nut: Crack the walnuts and remove the meats.
3.
the essential point or part of an argument, literary work, etc.; gist; crux: The meat of the play is the jealousy between the two brothers.
4.
solid food: meat and drink.
5.
solid or substantial content; pith: The article was full of meat, with few wasted words.
6.
a favorite occupation, activity, etc.: Chess is his meat.
7.
Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. pork, esp. bacon.
8.
Slang: Vulgar. .
9.
Archaic. the principal meal: to say grace before meat.










Popular Posts